12.01.2012

(Almost) Kid-Proof Christmas Tree





I take great pride in my Christmas tree.  I have spent a lot of time and money on the sucker and I was honestly afraid of what my kids might do to it now that they are old enough to want to kill it.  I have had friends tell me that I just need to only decorate the top half or put a baby gate around it or set it on a table.  I wasn't keen on any of those ideas and so I turned to pinterest for the answer.  I happened across an upside down tree that was decorated very similar to mine and it looked great, there was my answer. 

I posted some pictures of it on Instagram and Facebook and I had a lot of people ask me how I did it.  So I am going to explain it--

I have a cheap artificial pre-lit  tree from Wally World that cost me $39.  The trunk and stand was going to make it sit really far from the ceiling and so I had my husband cut off the trunk so that there was only a 6" stump. Then he just drilled a hole horizontally through the stump so that we could secure an anchor, we used wire.  Then we found a stud and screwed a hook into the ceiling and then hung the tree on it.  That was the easy part.

The hard part was that when my artificial tree was turned upside down the limbs would collapse.  So... we used 22 gauge green floral wire and wired the limbs so they wouldn't collapse.c

So far I LOVE the tree where it is.  I didn't have to move furniture which I usually do and I was also able to put the presents on the said furniture.  I have more floor space and everything just looks neat and clean.  I plan on hanging the tree from the ceiling until my boys are old enough to leave her alone. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment